Arm fat experts claim that you can’t “spot reduce.” They say the only way to get rid of flabby arms is through weight loss. Yet I have seen women lose massive amounts of weight with an increase in arm flab. And I have seen women not lose any weight with a decrease in arm flab.
The key to rapid arm flab reduction is to manipulate five factors: exercise, supplementation, nutrition, advanced techniques and daily habits. This article will mainly focus on exercise, nutrition and advanced techniques—the biggest pieces of the puzzle.
I’ve helped countless women lose inches of arm fat in weeks. Here are the 7 basic rules they followed:
1. Assemble meals from 4 groups. Every meal should have a food item from each of the following 4 groups: protein, carbohydrates, fat and vegetables. Make sure your fat and protein sources are low in saturated fat since it will divert carbohydrates towards arm fat cells. And only eat the slowest digesting carbohydrates (i.e., legumes) for fastest results. Fruit is a big no no!
2. Have a liquid meal immediately after the last exercise of your arm workout. When you are working out, little channels called glut-4 transporters temporarily migrate towards the surface of your muscle cells. They are responsible for letting nutrients into your arm’s compact muscles. This provides a rare chance to flood your arms with a controlled amount of nutrients that will accelerate the arm toning process. You have to have a liquid meal (solids take too long to digest) because the transporters disappear after 20 minutes.
3. Practice “glycogen depletion” and repletion. Once you get the hang of eating as described in rule #1, you have to start manipulating your carbohydrate intake. The key is to keep it simple: on days you don’t workout reduce carbohydrate intake, on days you do workout increase it. Doing this is like applying a blow torch to your arm fat. Just make sure you don’t go into ketosis a la Atkins—research has shown that total carbohydrate elimination is NOT necessary for maximum toning. Not to mention, the acidic breath you get from ketosis stinks!
4. Target all 5 major muscles in your arms. At best, 99.9% of women only target 2 muscles in their arms when working out. Your arms have 5 major muscles. If you want the quickest results, you have to target all
5. Stimulate all 3 “muscle fiber types” in your arm. Generally speaking, your arms have 3 types of “muscle fibers” that respond to different amounts of weight. The easiest way to stimulate all 3 types is to use heavy, medium and light weights in your workouts. Miss this one, and your results will plateau very quickly. Tip: have some caffeine right before working out if you don’t want to feel the “burn”.
6. Never do the same arm workout for more than 2 weeks. The female body is a highly adaptable organism. If you do the same workout over and over again, your results will come to a screeching halt. Always have a new workout ready to go every 2 weeks. If you are a beginner, you have a little more wiggle room here. If you are advanced, you have to change your workout even more frequently! Note: doing a different workout every time you walk into the gym will give you the fastest results.
7. Incorporate superset workouts. Once you are comfortable working out your arms with a high level of intensity, you should begin to do superset workouts. This advanced technique involves doing one exercise immediately after another exercise without any rest in between. Supersets will keep your arm-toning in the highest gear possible.
Well, there you have it, 7 rules to get rid of your arm fat in no time. Follow these rules and you’ll see a noticeable difference in your arms within 7 days. Time to pull out all those sexy sleeveless tops collecting dust in the back of your closet!