Increasing the tone of your arms can become a little tricky, especially during certain times of the day when proper nutrition is not so straightforward.
If you are looking to fully optimize your nutrition for maximum arm tone, a little extra attention is called for.
In this third article of the series I will discuss two situations in which a little nutritional tweaking can go a long ways.
After Working Out
- 0-2 minutes after: Hyper hydrate and have some maltodextrin. Aim for approximately 24oz of water and 50 grams of maltodextrin. There will be some individual variance here depending on fitness levels and body fat percentage.
- 30-60 minutes after: Have a full (and balanced) meal. If you have not urinated at this point, have some extra water. And stay away from energy bars since they are high in fructose and sucrose—not optimal for rapid muscle fueling.
As always, don’t take these numbers as set in stone. Experiment a little and see what works best for your particular situation. For example, I usually need about 70 grams of maltodextrin immediately after working out and a full meal 20 minutes after working out so that my blood sugar doesn’t drop.
How is it possible to have 70 grams of maltodextrin without a sugar crash and an increase in arm fat?
Because of glut-4 transporters. During the 20 minutes immediately after your arm workout, a surplus of these transporters migrate to the surface of your muscle cells. They are responsible for letting nutrients in. Having a fast digesting carbohydrate source such as maltodextrin allows you to take advantage of this effect and accelerates arm-toning.
But don’t let more than 20 minutes go by or else they will be gone.
This presents a unique challenge because the majority of recovery occurs while you are sleeping. But you can’t have a lot of calories to fuel said recovery because your metabolism is so slow during the end of the day. And eating lots of calories while the metabolism is slow translates into extra arm fat.
So here is your plan of attack:
- When dinner is 5 hours before bed: Have a balanced snack (200-250 calories) 1-2 hours before bed.
- When dinner is 3 hours before bed: Have a balanced snack (150-200 calories) 0.5-1 hours before bed.
- When dinner is 1-2 hours before bed: Make sure it’s a light dinner and have NO snack before bed.
Also, don’t forget to drink water for maximum digestion and maximum recovery. Drink as much water as you can without causing excess urination. The last thing you want is to wake up during the middle of the night for a trip to the bathroom.
Most women are fine with two cups of water. However, you should experiment here to see how much water you can drink without having to wake up because of a full bladder.
Now please do not obsess over the exact numbers in this article. Bear in mind that they are general guidelines. Try to follow them as best you can but do NOT stress over getting every single measurement down to the dot. After all, increasing arm tone doesn’t have to be a stressful and monotonous endeavor. Try not to get bogged down with the minutiae and always keep on moving forward towards your sexy arm goal!